Sunday, November 2, 2008

From KK: The rain in Spain falls mainly...in Barcelona.

They lied to us. It rains here. A lot. Our 5 euro umbrella from the Chino store that flips inside-out when you open it has become quite useful this week. 

The rain hasn't stopped us one bit.

Thursday night Doug really wanted to go see "I'm from Barcelona," a Swedish pop band that is not at all from Barcelona in El Paral-lel. We got off the metro and saw two strip clubs and a casino and knew we might be lost. The naked blinking lady in the window of Bar Bangladesh gave it away. Doug had researched this and decided we should get there about 11:30. We asked to buy tickets and they said the band was over at 9. We headed back past the naked ladies to the Metro stop at about 12:15. Funny, the Metro stops running at 12. Not wanting to spend any money we walked all the way back. These late-night-post-bar walks may be why Doug has lost 10 pounds. That and the lentils. 

Friday was Halloween and quite depressing. We had all intentions of dressing up and going out, but it was the coldest day we've had yet and it was pouring. We stayed in and watched scary movies and James Bond (Doug's vote) instead.

Saturday we were very productive. We got up bright and early (OK, noon) and headed out to tour Barcelona.  We went to Gaudi's Park Güell in the Northern most part of the city.  It's a beautiful place with a great view of the entire city and Mediterranean. We walked around this Alice in Wonderland type park, listening to street the artists scattered throughout the park playing violins, guitars and steel drums until dusk. 

We headed up to Passeig de Gracia for some shopping. Doug and I are good for each other when it comes to shopping. I assure him it's OK to buy a pair of one euro socks and he reminds me that I can only afford a pair of one euro socks.

After shopping we headed up to Gracia, the more upscale, business-y area to a Torilleria called "Flash Flash."  It was started by a famous 1970s fashion photographer and his wife, who is painted all over the walls with her camera in hand. We were unfashionably early to dinner at 9 p.m. at the most fashionable restaurant. 

We walked back to Barceloneta so Doug could get Gelato at our neighborhood Gelateria and a pint and the FC Barcelona fútbol game at the Irish Pub. 

Today we went to wait in line with the masses at the Picasso museum, which is free the first Sunday of every month. It's an incredible museum and seeing his art's progression from detailed realism to cubism is beautiful.

We headed to the Catedral de Barcelona and attended Mass. The stand-up-sit-down-stand-up-sit-down-stand-up routine is even harder in Spanish. On the way in to Mass there was an old man playing jazz on the trumpet with a young guy playing piano. On the way out, there were a group of teenagers who had amassed quite a crowd having a break dance-off. This is why I love Spain. Every time you turn around, it gives you something new, something real and something completely unpretentious.

I have decided to stay away from Spanish vitamins. Doug got some from his swim club. I looked at it and said "Geeez this is a big vitamin. I'll just take a big sip of water to swallow it." As soon as I swallowed it I looked and Doug in horror. This thing was not going down. Doug, of course, googled the Heimlich (that's the only way I know how to spell it) before he tried it. This might have just made the situation worse. We realized it was like an Airborne and you are supposed to let it dissolve in water THEN swallow it. Not my finest moment. The good news is I lived. 

The Europeans are insanely fascinated with the upcoming U.S. elections and we got a lecture from some French guys about saving the earth. They didn't speak English so this made for a long conversation. 

We also got to talk to Mamie Clementine this week! My mom got a webcam so we can skype and so we can see the little lady who is temporarily living with them. It was really just depressing because she could hear us and couldn't find us so she was sniffing in the camera and looking at Mama trying to find us, then she found her tennis ball and forgot about us. This is Mamie in her raincoat. I love her.

Well, we are off to dinner. Miss you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your hair!! It sounds like you are having an amazing time. Good luck with everything and if you need a toothbrush let me know. Since I love you so much I may even spring for a value pack (sounds like you might need it).

How is it possible that Doug lost 10 pounds? Maybe I should move to Europe.

Love you! Miss you!

heather k said...

oh my! I just saw the picture on the top right of your blog of Mamie photoshopped into a speedo, swim cap, and goggles. Too funny! You are crazy!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed catching up on you
two - I am still jealous. Altough I have travelled the world, I have have not had the pleasure of living in a foreig country yet. Take care of each other and know we love you both. Everyone is well
here.
XXOO,
BooBoo