Thanksgiving is in two days and we have no turkey. There are some turkeys at the mercat...head and feathers included. They are just sitting there in the glass case, like they are sleeping. I'm not woman enough to deal with that and I have the excuse that we don't have an oven, so looks like it's going to be a turkey-less day. The good news is there is a KFC on Las Ramblas so maybe we can scrape up some mac-n-cheese and green beans or it's going to be a sad sad day. Feel free to send us your leftover cranberry sauce and turkey and Hinkie green beans...mmm. That's just too depressing to think about.
Good news! Today I found a job teaching English. For the time being, I'll just be doing private lessons, but once I get comfortable, maybe I'll be able to teach at the World Trade Center and other big corporate companies around town. Most of the people who work with my company get into that after a while. I don't yet have the certificate to teach at the big corporations, but hopefully the private lessons will fill up enough time for now. I have my first one tonight. I'm helping an 8-year-old little girl with her school project about God knows what, so we will see how that goes! I have two lessons tomorrow and three more on Thursday. I'm looking forward to it and enjoyed teaching English when I was in Auburn for the Literacy Coalition, so maybe this will be as fun.
This weekend we had our third weekend in a row of visitors. Kelly McCallum is an au pair outside of Barcelona and her friend, Kara Lynn Joyce, came to visit her, so I had them to hang out with all weekend for my first weekend all alone without Doug.
He left Thursday night for Pisa, but didn't make it out of Barcelona. To give him credit, he left with four hours to make his flight, but in Spain, you just never know how long it will take. He got to the train station and the next train didn't leave for over and hour. It dropped him off at some bus station and he had to wait over an hour again for the next bus to the airport. Of course, his phone died and even if you charge it, you can't turn it on without the passcode, which he didn't know...so that's how Thursday night went.
He told me he was just going to sleep in the train station and eat cookies all night. I assured him that was a bad bad idea and to just come home, then he cut off. So about 10 that night I still hadn't heard from him and was waiting at home when he showed up with a pizza and a 40 oz. San Miguel. We had to find a way to buy him a new flight and our internet is still out, so we walked around our neighborhood trying to steal internet off anyone who didn't have password protected internet. Thanks to Antonio of Atlantida Street, we got him a new ticket, standing on the street with his laptop.
Friday we gave him 5 hours to make it, and thank heavens he did.
Kara and Kelly came Friday and we went to meet up with some girls we met visiting from Chicago and had fun uptown. Saturday they toured all day and I hung out at home and watched movies all day like a lazy bum. When they came back we got ready for a great dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, La Fianna, where the seats are all couches and they bring your drinks on trays and set them on your big sofa bed-ish thing. It's a really neat place. We tried to go out, but the clubs were packed, we just headed home. It was a lot of fun regardless.
Doug said he had fun in Italy and got to see some old swimmer friends, but we were glad to have him back in Spain. This weekend he has a Catalan Circuit meet outside of the city and it getting ready for that all week, but are still keeping pretty busy. I say that loosely, as in, by busy I mean going to see James Bond last night and to a Damien Jurrado concert in a really cool venue off Las Ramblas tonight.
Next Thursday we leave for PARIS!! Can't wait!
I've got to run get ready for my first class! Maybe I'll wear my glasses and look extra professional. Just a thought.
We'll post pictures soon...
Proverbs 29:25
13 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment