I have lived in some small-bathroomed places before, but dear Heavens, this bathroom is small. I went in to brush my teeth after supper and reached for my toothbrush, knocked the handle and flipped it in the toilet. I tried to catch Doug's on the way down, but to no avail. But I have an extra new toothbrush in my suitcase. Here's hoping. I open the package, fumbled with it and in the span of about 28.5 seconds, dropped the extra toothbrush in the toilet to join its friends. Three toothbrushes in the toilet.
Take heed, you who are coming to visit. The staircase up to our door is narrower than the bathroom. We had to put our shoulders into the back of our bags and push with all our might to get them up the stairs. Other than that, it's a great place!

We have gone to visit three of the best Spanish clubs to see if Doug could swim. There is one in Barceloneta that would be very convenient, but I'm not sure how I feel about them anymore. The coach was all excited Doug was there, but spoke not a word of English. Doug doesn't speak Spanish. That's where I come in. The coach asked me to come on the pool deck to translate for them. Here's the catch: you can't wear "street clothes" on the pool deck, so yours truly had to put on a swimsuit, stand on the deck and translate for two hours. I am not OK with this. Although I am used to having to fight the 5th graders off of Doug, these girls were a whole new level of 10-year-old competition. And me. In a swimsuit.
We are finally getting settled in. It's nice to have somewhere quiet to be. We got to Erin's apartment on Wednesday. She lives with a Portuguese guy, Bernardo, and a Spanish girl, Candela. Thursday five more Portuguese guys came to see Bernardo. Friday Candela's boyfriend flew in from England. So there we were, eleven people in a little Spanish apartment with one toilet. It was a lot of fun staying there, and we thoroughly appreciated it, but nice to get some rest now.
Friday night we went to a bar, not a club, because bars are open until 3 a.m., then the clubs open. We are not quite that hard core yet, so 3 was late enough for the both of us. With 12 euro watered down drinks, it's hard to enjoy for too long.
Doug is going to meet with that graphic designer tomorrow and has been working on his portfolio all afternoon.
We did get our tickets to Paris today! We are going the first weekend in December. The tickets were 10 euros, all taxes included, each way. Can't beat it.
The weather has been so nice here. It's been mid 70s or warmer since we got here. We had breakfast of cafe con leche and oranges today on the beach. It was a little overcast, but so nice. I came prepared for Granada winter, which although it is farther south, is much colder that Barcelona will ever be, so it's been a nice surprise to have a few more days of unexpected warm weather.So we told you we looked at some sketchy places. Look at this one: Price: 1200 euros. Cats included. This is almost as funny as Engrish! They were going for "gastos incluidos" which means expenses included...or were they. Mamie would be so sad if I got a cat.



4 comments:
Hey there you vagabonds!! Auntie Linda here. Good for you for heading out into unknown territory! I admire you for jumping in (or out...of your comfort zone). And it sounds as if things are going well. Soak it all in and enjoy. Do you know how long you're staying.
hasta luego...
LOL!! You guys make me laugh. Sorry about the toothbrushes and the 10yr old girls.
So glad you are having a fab time!
How is Doug's Spanish coming along? Any of those "very useful" phrases that he learned back home coming into play?
Heather
lucy says she is up for a euro trip. if the price includes her... just a thought.. let me know
Hi guys! Tomorrow I will really be Gigi! Kara goes in at 7 am to be induced! We'll send pictures to Uncle Doug and Aunt KK asap.
Your place looks nice even if it is wee. Sounds as though you are getting adjusted. How did the meeting go Doug? You've been a busy boy. Would love to see your porfolio. By the way...don't they sell toothbrushes in Spain? Miss you tons and love you even more.
Post a Comment